The Grip is the camera stabilizer found on the company’s plus the battery-powered handheld mount that’s bundled with the drone. While the Karma might be temporarily unavailable because of a dronerecall, you can now get just the Karma Grip for shooting on the ground for $300, AU$460 and £250. It’s expensive, but it’s actually in line with similar 3-axis gimbals and GoPro’s is way more flexible.
Unlike its main competitor the DJI Osmo handheld stabilizer, the Karma Grip doesn’t come equipped with a camera but offers other similar built-in camera features such as tilt lock functionality, power on and off toggle switch, camera modes control, start and stop recording and more. You can also highlight and tag key moments while shooting with a compatible GoPro camera through a single push of a button.
You can even charge your GoPro camera and grip and offload the captured footage without un-mounting the camera itself. Additionally, the Karma Grip can be attached to multiple GoPro mounting accessories which provide users with even more options for capturing shake-free footage on the go. The Karma Grip’s built-in battery, on the other hand, powers both the grip and the mounted GoPro camera for up to 1 hour and 45 minutes on a full charge.
There is also a Karma Grip Extension Cable expected in early this year that will allow users to mount the stabilizer and grip separately thus turning the device into even more versatile and flexible tool.
Meanwhile, for those of you who are curious how does the Karma Grip stack up against the DJI Osmo, here’s a quick side-by-side comparison.
With which GoPro models can you use the Grip?
The Karma Grip is compatible with the GoPro Hero 5 Black. To be able to use the GoPro Hero 5 Session and the GoPro Hero 4 with the Karma Grip: there will be a separate accessory for the GoPro Hero 5 Session from spring 2017.
What is Karma Grip still capable of?
- Compatible with GoPro body fasteners
- Built-in command functions for the GoPro
- Can also be used with extension cable (sold separately) for Karma Grip
- You can also download the shots when the camera is still mounted on the Grip
- Battery with a battery life of 105 minutes
- Simultaneous charging of GoPro and Karma Grip possible
- Recharges with the GoPro Supercharger that recharges the battery up to 70% faster than other comparable chargers
- The carrying case and the mounting ring are included in delivery